Friday, December 01, 2006

Adam

Salvador Dalí: Persistence of Memory

I just saw this headline: “Studies say chemotherapy causes brain damage.”
I immediately thought of Adam.


Adam was diagnosed with a brain tumour in December of 2001. The doctors did everything they could, but Adam died 2½ years later. He was 32.


At different times during his treatment, Adam had brain surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and I don’t know what else. I don’t know which of those things, or what combination, caused the brain damage, but he had brain damage. He found it difficult to read, he couldn’t concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes, and his balance and coordination were damaged. And he lost his memory.


One day, I don’t remember exactly when, or even whether I was in Prague or Guildford at the time, Adam called me.


Max, it’s Adam.


And he told me how he had lost his memory and how he was piecing it back together person by person and that Dan had just talked about me and Adam had remembered me. Now Adam wanted help remembering Prague and the places and the people that we had in common. Adam was completely unashamed and honest.


I don’t remember much, Max. But I remember that we worked together and I remember that you were a lot of fun to be out with.


I think we talked for about 45 minutes. Adam asked me questions about our office and the people and who sat where. He asked me how we had met, and he remembered that we had stayed out till 4 a.m. the night before his first day at work. We talked about the places he knew in Prague, where he had lived for only 3 or 4 months before his diagnosis, and the people that he had just been getting to know. It was a beautiful conversation because I could hear the joy in Adam’s voice as more and more pieces fell into place and he got a bit of his past back.


I don’t think about Adam that often anymore. It’s nice to get a bit of my past back too.

1 comment:

Cookie said...

You brought to mind my days of chemotherapy...how all of us in support group (a necessary evil) suffered from "chemo brain"... the chemicals kill cancer but they kill brain cells as well ... you know it is happening and you only hope when the treatment which cures you doesn't make mush of all your functioning brain cells.

still you'd rather have your life than not.