Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What Max did on 9/11

rtm called me yesterday at 16.37 to inform me that there was going to be a one-night only showing of the film Loose Change at Cinema Oko to mark the anniversary of 9/11. I immediately agreed to meet him there.

I had never seen Loose Change. I downloaded it from the internet months ago, but I didn’t know how to work out the codecs. I never worried too much about not seeing the film, being that I have read and watched so many other things about how the events of September 11, 2001 happened or did not happen. But I was not going to pass up an opportunity to see the film on a big screen.

Vanity Fair magazine published a feature about Loose Change and the young men who had made it in the July 2006 issue. I had been excited about that story and extremely impressed with the filmmakers – “three kids from a hick town in upstate New York”. Dylan Avery had set out to make a fictional film about himself and his friends “discovering that 9/11 was an inside job, and doing something about it...and basically that happened in real life.”

I told one of my Czech colleagues I was going to see the film and what it was about. “You believe those conspiracy theories?” he asked me incredulously. Damn – once again I had forgotten that normal mainstream people, no matter what nationality they are, still drink the kool-aid.

Loose Change was fantastic. A lot of people in the cinema, mostly 20-something Czechs, had seen the film before. Although the events of the film are horrifying no matter who carried them out, parts of the film elicited laughter from the audience – not because the bits were funny, but because they were so absurd in terms of what the government has been selling to the people as truth.

As an example, the recordings of phone calls that supposedly came from flight 93. The flight attendant who was reporting that her colleagues had been stabbed, first class was full of smoke and no one was answering the phone in the cockpit, was doing so in a calm and steady voice, and there was no screaming or any other sound of panic in the background. And one of the passengers who called his mom identified himself by his full name: “Mom? This is Mark Bingham…. There are hijackers…You believe me, don’t you?” Weird.

Some of the information was old hat to all of us wacky conspiracy theorists, e.g. controlled demolition of the three World Trade Center buildings, the impossibility of a plane having crashed into the Pentagon, some of the alleged hijackers being spotted alive and well long after the events, the motives behind destroying WTC 7… But some of the information I had not heard before, especially that relating to the huge amount of gold missing from beneath the WTC.

Max’s message for 9/11: If you have not seen Loose Change, SEE IT. Is it fact? No. Loose Change offers a lot of theories, and evidence to back up the theories, but the only fact is that we don’t know what really happened on 9/11. What is inspired about Loose Change is that no one could possibly watch it and still believe what the government wants us to believe. And questioning, thinking for yourself, and just saying ‘no’ to the kool-aid is what it’s all about.

Thank you, Dylan Avery, Korey Rowe and Jason Bermas. You guys are awesome.

To purchase Loose Change, or to watch it for free, go to http://www.loosechange911.com/

3 comments:

AG said...

You've answered my question (on sms) and we don't have to speak of it again.

Monkey's Max said...

Arturo,

Don't be a dick.

Love
Max

Anonymous said...

finally someone with some humour!