Thursday, January 05, 2006

My day so far

I got home from U Zpěváčků last night just before 1 a.m. I checked the news before I went to bed and saw that Ariel Sharon had had a massive stroke. I am not particularly fond of Sharon as a person, but I think he has lately represented some stability in Israel, and I am afraid of what may come next, i.e. Netanyahu again. I went to sleep at about 1.30.

The Kid, who had been staying with me for the past week, came home at about 3.20 a.m. and I got up to hang out with him and to make sure that he had his shit together and ready for the taxi that was coming at 4 a.m. to take him to the airport. He was a bit drunk and sentimental. I also checked the news to see whether Sharon had died.

I helped The Kid get his luggage downstairs to the cab at 4 a.m. I did not wait to wave him off but I did hear the cab drive away once I was back upstairs and getting into my bed.

I did not sleep well, which is unusual for me, and I only managed to get out of bed this morning 50 minutes after my alarm had first gone off. I texted Katka to let her know I would be an hour late into work, but with instructions that she need not inform anyone else.

I got into the office just before 10 and since that time have dropped off to sleep in my chair at least six or seven times, once long enough for me to have to log back in to my computer when I woke up. I started to wish that we had beds in the office, but then realised that would be a very bad indicator of far too much overtime. I don’t really fancy the prospect of being discovered taking a nap on a couch in a partner’s office, and I have briefly considered the floor space under my desk. I think instead I will go for a walk and hope that the cold air will wake me up enough to last until I can go home.

I opened a gmail account this morning. Not because I wanted to or because I don’t already have enough other e-mail accounts, but because Kitty Killer does not know how to downsize photographs and swears that gmail can handle her 1.4 MB monsters. I did not have the energy to argue with her last night and so promised to use the invitation she said she would send me.

No comments: