Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Just another day in The Shire

For a second, I thought I was looking at The Onion, a satirical publication, rather than at The Huffington Post, normally a fairly intelligent and ruminative journal of news and opinions.

The top headline read “CHENEY: SITUATION IN IRAQ GOING ‘REMARKABLY WELL’…”

I almost laughed out loud. Those words immediately made me think of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf (aka Comical Ali), the Iraqi Minister for Information during the American invasion. That’s right – the man that in April 2003 persisted in his claims that American troops were about to surrender to the Iraqis when in actuality they had already occupied most of Baghdad. The man that had by that time developed a cult following because he was perceived as being absurdly funny, but completely harmless.

A bit further down on the page was “Santorum Compares Iraq War to Lord of the Rings”, with a photo of Senator Rick Santorum next to a photo of Golum. From the salon.com story:

“In an interview with the editorial board of the Bucks County Courier Times, embattled Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum has equated the war in Iraq with J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. According to the paper, Santorum said that the United States has avoided terrorist attacks at home over the past five years because the ‘Eye of Mordor’ has been focused on Iraq instead.

“‘As the hobbits are going up Mount Doom, the Eye of Mordor is being drawn somewhere else,’ Santorum said. ‘It's being drawn to Iraq and it's not being drawn to the U.S. You know what? I want to keep it on Iraq. I don't want the Eye to come back here to the United States.’”

What the fuck?! That analogy doesn’t even work. Unless Mount Doom is supposed to represent Washington, DC and the fascists in charge of the country are actually orcs.

But these are the fantasists that are running The New Amerika. Things are going to get a lot worse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS going to get a lot worse. I was saying on Hev's blog that I hate even saying I'm 'American' (whatever the hell that means anymore). Scary shit is going down & it gets me in a panic. I want to pack up & get the hell out. I want to scream at the people in my country who just shrug their shoulders and rejoice that gas is under $3.00/gal right now. WTF, people?!?! Wake Up!
So frustrating.
So infuriating.

Monkey's Max said...

Tabba, go ahead and get the hell out. Don't wait until it's too late. Don't let them fool you - that fence going up on the border with Mexico is not meant to keep the cheap labour from getting in.