Monday, October 02, 2006

Overwhelmed and bewildered...again

Max having a bad day

It’s not a big problem. It’s just that there is once again so much out there that pisses me off that I want to write about all of it, but I can’t write about any of it. I don’t know where to start and I don’t know where to stop. I don’t know how to put it all together so I will just spit out what I can.

The New Amerika

The Military Commissions Act 2006 makes me want to throw up. I have read some of the Act and I have read commentary on the Act, and I absolutely cannot come to terms with it. Every senator and representative that voted for the Act is a traitor to the USA, although perhaps a good citizen of The New Amerika.

Problems with the Act include the legalisation of torture, suspension of habeas corpus, legal detention of even US citizens under “enemy combatant” rules, and the placing of the president above the law. Our Constitutional rights and protections are being stripped away as we sit back quietly and thank Idiot Bush for keeping us safe.

What the fuck is wrong with the people of The Amerika?!!

Terrorised Prague

I had an email from my mom yesterday – she had read in the Jewish Journal that Prague was on high alert for terrorism and that Jewish sites were a main target. She asked me to be careful if I was going to synagogue for Yom Kippur. I am sure she did not appreciate my answer:

"Yes, Mommy, we are on high-ish alert, but I don't buy into the fear-mongering. If something does happen, however, please don't assume I'm at services. I may not go tonight because I am in the middle of reviewing a 70-page contract and really want to finish it today. I may go, but just don't assume that I am dead if you hear of a bomb going off. Try to ring my mobile, or I will ring you if I hear about it first.

"Love, Max"

But all I can think about is weird “anti-terror” legislation suddenly being passed here in Czechia, like in The New Amerika or the UK, and then where am I going to go?

Baghdad Burning

It was posted on Information Clearinghouse today – something I too had noticed - that the girl that writes the Riverbend Blog has not posted since August. I had emailed her earlier – no response. I wonder what has happened to her, but how can you really worry about someone you don’t know who lives in the middle of a war zone? I may as well worry about everyone in Iraq and Afghanistan and Darfur…

- not to say that I don’t.

Idiot Bush: deluded and in charge

“The only way to protect our citizens at home is to go on the offence against the enemy across the world...So we will remain on the offence until the terrorists are defeated and this fight is won.”

Okay, I am literally sick to my stomach now.

There is more, there is so much more – the contents of Bob Woodward’s new book, Condoleeza Rice’s bullshit reaction to the book, school shootings, the strategic distraction of the Foley emails – list to be continued any way you want.

No comments: