Wednesday, February 08, 2006

State of Mind du Jour

kd and I have just exchanged a few emails to arrange a meeting for tonight. In the first email, I told her that I had a book for her.

Max: I have brought you the book I finished last night, Fortune’s Rocks by Anita Shreve. This is my assessment: a good story well told – no more, no less, the kind of thing you want to take to bed with you when you need an absolute escape from everything. You know, when you can’t look at the news anymore because it is making you so angry that you cry.

kd: I'll be happy to borrow a good story...and I understand about the news - right now it's particularly stupid, and it's making no sense. I hate people, generally, and the world's idiots seem to be out in force trying to prove why.

Max: Exactly, that’s it. So now I am reading a book about Bush and the CIA and all of that shit -- I don’t even have to look at the news anymore to be all pissed off 24/7.

* * * * *
The book, by the way, is State of War: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration by James Risen – book report forthcoming.

No comments: