Tuesday, September 20, 2005
I hate fast food hamburgers but I like In-N-Out. Some of you may not know In-N-Out Burger; it is a chain of drive-through burger bars in California, Nevada and Arizona. The first one was opened by the Snyder family in Baldwin Park in 1948 and every single one is still owned by the Snyder family.
The advertised menu has never changed:
- French Fries
- Shakes & Beverages (Coke, etc)
The hamburgers are made from 100% pure beef; they are served with lettuce, tomato, “spread”, with or without onions (raw or grilled) on a freshly baked bun. The cheese is American. The french fries are made from fresh-cut potatoes and fried in vegetable oil. The shakes are made from real ice cream. All the ingredients are high quality and everything is made fresh to order. You don’t drive through In-N-Out when you’re in a hurry.
I never went to In-N-Out as a kid, it wasn’t the kind of place my parents took us. Then I was a vegetarian for a long time and by the time I had started eating meat again, I had moved overseas.
Anonymous A-hole loves In-N-Out, and I think our nephews must have inherited that love from him. Last month I had my first ever In-N-Out burger with my eldest nephew J. He taught me about the secret menu. The secret menu does not appear anywhere but everyone that goes to In-N-Out knows about it and how to order from it. The people that work at In-N-Out of course recognise all of the items and happily accept the secret orders.
In-N-Out Secret Menu:
- Double Meat (i.e. no cheese)
- 3x3, 4x4 (supposedly you can order up to 10x10)
- Protein Style – wrapped in lettuce instead of on a bun
- Animal Style – mustard added into the beef while it’s cooking + pickle, extra spread, grilled onions
- Grilled Cheese (2 slices of cheese; no meat)
- Flying Dutchman – 2x2 meat and cheese, nothing else (no bun, no condiments)
- Wish burger – no meat, no cheese, just vegetables and spread on a bun
- Well-done fries (brown and crispy)
- Neapolitan shake (blend of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla)
J, an enormously hungry teenager, had a 4x4 Animal Style with fries and a root beer; I had a Cheeseburger Protein Style – it was awesome. Big Sister did the driving and paid.