Sunday, September 04, 2005

Protecting our Borders

Due to visa complications, I was carrying two passports around with me last week. One evening I compared old and new entrance stamps from visits to the US.

I had used my old passport for over nine years and made several trips to the US, probably averaging at least one per year. There is only one US entrance stamp in my passport, which is normal because I have an American passport and I would not normally have to be able to prove my comings and goings from the US, and so the immigration people didn't bother.

My new passport has one US entrance stamp from one visit to the US.

The stamp in my old passport:U.S. IMMIGRATION, LOS, ADMITTED JUL 28 2002.

The stamp in my new passport: *DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY • U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION*, ADMITTED NYC, AUG 06 2005.

I suppose this means that US Immigration no longer exists, that it too has been absorbed by the Fatherland Security and Protection office. I find the change ominous.

No comments: